5 ways to stay safe on our roads this festive season
The holiday season is one of the most festive times of year for Australians, but its also notorious for being the most dangerous time for drivers on the road. Last year 28 lives were lost on our roads between 23 December 2013 and 3 January 2014, and while that number was down from the previous year, it’s still too high.
Speeding, drinking and fatigue are some of the key contributors to crashes. Take these basic precautions to keep you and your family safe on the road.
- Driving long distances to visit family and friends can be exhausting. Driver fatigue is a factor in one in five road fatalities so make sure you take regular breaks on long trips, ideally 15 minutes every 2 hours.
- Don’t speed. Slow down on the roads, and observe the speed limit.
- Try to eliminate any distractions. Switch your phone off or turn it on silent. Driving is a complex task that needs your focus, so if you need to send a message pull over.
- Don’t drink and drive. It can be easy to misjudge your limits, try to plan ahead and avoid driving if you think you’re going to be drinking alcohol. If it's an option take public transport, some cities are even offering free public transport on Christmas and New Years Eve.
- Be aware of your environment. You may be a cautious driver, but there are others on the roads that might not be. Keep your eyes peeled to anticipate any risks!
Our roads are busier than ever and careful driving is key in ensuring we all get home to loved ones safe.
From the team at Tint a Car, we wish all our customers a safe and happy festive season.